User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 12-10-2015, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
aftermarket exhausts

Anyone know of a great aftermarket exhaust? I saw the Remus video but i just can't bring myself to pay the $700 for it based on such a short YouTube video. Don't want my car to sound ricey.
This is my first Mazda and not sure whether they even sound good with exhaust or not. ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 12-10-2015, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Garage
I’m not a big lover of playing with exhaust systems. The design is now so linked to the performance, economy and emissions that altering the through flow is probably enough to upset the whole lot. We’re all a bit different but having spent years developing vehicles under very controlled conditions has taught me a thing or two about the effort that goes in to make these things street legal. It seems a shame to just undo it in one stroke......

.......and to make it noisy? I don’t get it.

Have a read...........
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Exhaust manifold.pdf (134.5 KB, 915 views)
File Type: pdf Exhaust silencer.pdf (213.3 KB, 695 views)
File Type: pdf Exhaust system.pdf (163.8 KB, 722 views)
Cyclone1410, SonicBoy and bjn like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. 2016 anchorman

.........and another thing"
post #3 of 42 Old 12-10-2015, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I'm on the fence on this one. On one side, I completely agree with Anchorman on exhaust flow changes. In addition, I personally believe an exhaust note sounds much better coupled with a manual transmission and the US currently only has the automatic available.

On the other side, I replaced the my manual transmission Miata's' exhaust header, mid-pipe and exhaust with Roadstersport products specifically designed for the MX5. I absolutely love the sound of that car and have received many compliments on how it sounds sporty, without being ricey or loud as the note is about 20 percent louder than stock. In addition the improved flow added about 10 HP based on my butt dyno.

Personally I will wait and see with the aftermarket brings. A couple of weeks ago I spoke with people at Racingbeat and they recently obtained a CX3 for aftermarket product development. They indicated one of the first products they will pursue will be an exhaust.

Ceramic GT, AWD, 18% Window Tint, Matte Black Enkei Raijin 18x8 with Black Spline Drive Lugs, 225/45R18 Michelin AS3, All Weather Floor/Cargo Mat, Splash Guards, De-Badged Tailgate, Black Plastic-Dip Accents

post #4 of 42 Old 12-10-2015, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
If there was one thing I learned from my past cars is to have a goal in mind. Depending on where you want your cx-3 to be whether you are pursuing performance or just styling or even just sound differences, be prepared to give something up for each mod you install as silly as it sounds. Anchorman is correct and with something as electronically precise as this, I personally would suggest holding off on 'performance mods' since it most likely will effect the efficiency and flow in a negative manner.

Although, regarding power, I would probably suggest against that since making "big power" would be almost impossible with the current engine build and ecu programming. I learned that the hardway on my last car as you can build up the bottom end of a block, have all conditions perfect, fuel system exactly where you want it, to get a big NO in your face when faced with tuning options with emissions since it will never pass and you would have to revert everything back to stock. But thats just my 2cents.
post #5 of 42 Old 12-11-2015, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I changed the exhaust on my WRX (catback exhaust) and was told that it wouldn't adversely affect anything or void warranty. I never considered extensive mods that affect warranty or reliably.
So I never really thought an axle-back exhaust would negatively affect a Mazda.
My previous car was a fiat Abarth which comes stock without mufflers. it had an awesome sound, so that's why I would consider a slightly louder exhaust on the Mazda.
post #6 of 42 Old 12-11-2015, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Why play with the exausts there fine the way they are.
post #7 of 42 Old 12-11-2015, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Why is everyone on this forum against doing any mods to the cx-3????

I would like to see multiple mods done to my cx-3. I'm going crazy because there is no aftermarket parts for this car!
Someone please remove the second cat and do a muffler delete so we can hear what these cars should sound like
post #8 of 42 Old 12-11-2015, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Im all for mods, another thread I started was about getting information regarding available mods. It's just too good looking and sporty not to take it a step further.

I too am looking for an exhaust for the CX3. She sings so nicely when she revs, give her a proper microphone, and she'll turn heads. The Remus ones, judging from the very short, and frankly useless video, doesn't sound all that impressive, plus the costs aren't worth it. Also, from research, there won't be much we can do regarding exhausts systems starting from the headers, being that they are weirdly shaped and specifically designed for the skyactiv motors. But something like a catback or axleback will do fine.

I can just kind of imagine it in my head, revving to 4k or so, slowing down, the down shifting, hearing it rev high again, all with an aftermarket exhaust ... excuse me a second

Keep Calm and Zoom Zoom
post #9 of 42 Old 12-12-2015, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Garage
Blimey. You sound happy before you've got it. I hope it sounds just how you margined when you get it!

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. 2016 anchorman

.........and another thing"
post #10 of 42 Old 12-12-2015, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
I have a "slight" infatuation with bringing cars to life with a well matched exhaust. I had a Jetta MK3 VR6 with a 2.5" exhaust that sounded like heaven, add the sound of the supercharger ... oh I miss that one dearly.

Keep Calm and Zoom Zoom

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode