CX3 is about a foot shorter then the CX5 - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 12-12-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Dr.M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
CX3 is about a foot shorter then the CX5



Dr.M is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 12-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
The difference in size is most noticeable at the back of the vehicle. Guess that explains having less cargo space.

This is a cool picture. Haven't seen something like this before.
Frank is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 12-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
interstingly the wheelbase is near identical though...
Kanban is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 Old 12-12-2014, 10:31 PM
TnT
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
This is actually a bit surprising to me, looking at the two of them by themselves i was thinking the CX-3 was much shorter.
TnT is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 12-13-2014, 12:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Something is not right here. The shadow line of the 5 should extend 11 inches beyond the rear of the 3. Looks to be about 7 in or 8 at the most. I think the scale is off. Wheelbase match-up does not reflect 5" difference either.

Love my 5 but the 3 is much better proportioned, and is bound to be more nimble. Wonder if it will have any towing capability. Am planning on trading my Focus with its whacky dual clutch auto for one of these. If it can tow a 1000lbs I could (but probably won't) replace my CX5 with it.

Edit 12/13: In the picture, the 18" wheels are 39mm, This establishes a scale, 1" equals 2.17mm (39/18) Difference in length depicted is 13mm/2.17 or just under 6". If actual difference in length is indeed 11" then this composite shows only slightly more than half the actual difference in size between the vehicles. While I appreciate the artistry of the depiction and the skill that went into making it, its misleading and does not serve its intended purpose.
HelloThereCX3 likes this.

Last edited by okhick; 12-13-2014 at 03:10 PM.
okhick is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 12-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okhick View Post
Something is not right here. The shadow line of the 5 should extend 11 inches beyond the rear of the 3. Looks to be about 7 in or 8 at the most. I think the scale is off. Wheelbase match-up does not reflect 5" difference either.

Love my 5 but the 3 is much better proportioned, and is bound to be more nimble. Wonder if it will have any towing capability. Am planning on trading my Focus with its whacky dual clutch auto for one of these. If it can tow a 1000lbs I could (but probably won't) replace my CX5 with it.

Edit 12/13: In the picture, the 18" wheels are 39mm, This establishes a scale, 1" equals 2.17mm (39/18) Difference in length depicted is 13mm/2.17 or just under 6". If actual difference in length is indeed 11" then this composite shows only slightly more than half the actual difference in size between the vehicles. While I appreciate the artistry of the depiction and the skill that went into making it, its misleading and does not serve its intended purpose.
hehh, yea thats what i meant about the wheel bases. since when did 5 inches become indistinguishable
Kanban is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 12-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
is ground clearance identical, the two charts of values dont match...
Croce is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 12-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
is ground clearance identical, the two charts of values dont match...
I don't think the ground clearance is exactly the same. You can see in the picture that one is a little bit closer to the ground than another. I would assume the CX3 has a slightly lower clearance than the CX5.
Oldboy is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 12-16-2014, 08:59 PM
TnT
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
CX3 sure seems to have better ground clearance in the front going off of the picture above.
TnT is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 01-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT View Post
CX3 sure seems to have better ground clearance in the front going off of the picture above.
Only slightly. Is ground clearance something that people are really concerned about? I'm not planning on doing much driving that is going to necessitate a high ground clearance. For me it is more about the ride height than it is about the ground clearance.
Volta is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome