User Tag List

99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 261 Old 10-07-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Garage
I know we all love our CX-3's but come on be honest......

.....is there anything you don't like about it or wish it was different? I'm talking about things within reason. I bought my GT a couple weeks ago and I absolutely love it, its a joy to drive, but there are a couple things I didn't think much of when I bought it but now are annoying me a bit. One, no driver's power seat. This is more of a convenience thing, but my previous car had both driver and passenger power seats and its just something I miss now. Two, the lack of console area space. This could've easily been fixed if Mazda hadn't for some reason used a gigantic hand break that takes up over 50% of an already tight space. Why couldn't they use a electronic parking brake or even a foot activated one? That would've fixed the cup holder/armrest problem too, as that space would've been freed to move the cup holders forward (next to the commander controls) and the armrest would've been a permanent one with storage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 261 Old 10-07-2015, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
1) Gas tank way too small. I had a lot criteria i wanted in a car and I never even knew to look for this. I didn't know they made gas tanks this small. I guess i've by some sort of luck the 13 previous cars i've owned have all had normal sized gas tanks. This car has an abnormally small gas tank in my opinion. But it is also the smallest car i've driven.
2) I'm rather annoyed that i can't enter a destination into Nav while driving. I bought a car with a lot of features, i don't want a nanny. All that ends up happening is i use Google Maps more and let the audio travel through my speakers. But kind of annoying that i have a Nav i can't use. It seems that i rarely want to enter in a destination while parked.
3) To expand on what greaseman said; a place to put change would have been nice.
BaystateBlue likes this.

2016 CX-3 AWD GT - Ceramic Metallic
post #3 of 261 Old 10-07-2015, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
- i-ACTIV features can be fidgetty. Last night I was testing my lane departure by intentionally driving halfway over the line on a clear night with a road in good condition, LDS didn't do squat. This morning it's squawking again. Sometimes it thinks a line of tar bubbled up through the surface or a bit of spray paint is a lane marker, and goes off even if I'm right where I need to be. Radar cruise has no idea what to do when I'm in a sweeping turn or on rolling terrain (which there is a lot of in the hills/mountains in WA). It sees nothing, then hits the gas, then the object passes back in front of it and it slams on the brakes. It really needs a long, flat, straight surface like a Kansas highway. The sensors also have trouble detecting motorcycles unless they are dead center. If they wiggle to the side, you get acceleration. Sometimes I have no idea why blind spot monitoring isn't showing me a car I clearly know is there, then beeps at me as it goes past when I change lanes. This a feature that really doesn't need "lag".

- Could use a bigger gas tank. I have an AWD GT. I think my coffee mug is bigger than this tank.

- Armrests aren't really in the right place. They just don't fit me well, and I've seen someone else complain about this too.

- No lumbar adjustment on seat. C'mon Mazda, these are some of your best seats. It doesn't have to be power, just something. Seats are also a bit narrow before their pretty aggressive ridges. Overall I like them, but I think they could have toned down the protrusions and still been fine. NO POWER SEATS.

- Center console is recessed too far back. I have to crane my arm and reach behind me for drinks and certain console buttons.

- Paint seems to be pretty fragile. I'm getting a frontal wrap done in a few days, but I've had this thing since late August. It's ceramic metallic and takes a beating on crap and crap-filled Seattle-area roads (I think yesterday I got hit by a flying chunk of dropped mud flap). The most common sites of impact are the lower front bumper, which underneath is a black plastic. Every little chip shows drastically. Good thing I've stocked up on 47A paint and am getting the wrap.

- Butt end is a dirt magnet. Just seems to be a "feature" of hatches (which this essentially is), but the back side of this thing is always dirty. Water gets all in the seam under the rear door and piles the dirt in there with it. The rest of the car can look pretty good, but the back side is filthy.

- A day or so after it rains I'm still pulling up smears of water with the windows. I hope that's all safely isolated from important stuff in the doors, because in case you hadn't heard it rains A LOT in Seattle.

- No turbocharger or Mazdaspeed variant (or manual, which we've all had plenty of time to sob about). I mean, as long as we're saying things we don't like, I don't like that I can't go even FASTER. People have asked, cars that I know have turbos have challenged me on the road, I WANNA PLAY TOO! It's also frightening to pass at highway speeds. The low-end torque and zip you get in the city give you a false sense of the car's capability. Have fun with that trying to pass a semi on a busy two-lane highway.

- Software has a few bugs or features I don't necessarily like. Bluetooth works great until suddenly it doesn't, then I get see-saw functionality until generally I restart. I don't want to have to "reboot" my car. Google Maps streamed via bluetooth still horsewhips their nav maps for best route information. No easy way to "scroll through" XM channels unless they're favorites (only thing I've found is to do a constant start-stop scan). Voice recognition is sketchy, but better than some. Needs Android Auto and CarPlay. The Mazda apps don't impress me, so I'm a bit worried they don't have the greatest SW development team.

Those are my general impressions right now. Again, I absolutely love this car, and would only part with it for a faster variant. I've put plenty of miles on it just enjoying the experience of driving it, particularly on wet, dark nights. It's a wee beast when it comes to handling twisty country roads under adverse conditions. There are definitely some areas for improvement for a Gen1.5/2 release though.
Sarah, joeytrapp, senecaty and 1 others like this.

post #4 of 261 Old 10-08-2015, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The only thing that disappoints me about the car is rhe lack of auto on/off headlights. On a 2016 car you shouldn't need to get the top trim with every single option package in order to get this basic feature.

Everything else is livable or better. Great car overall.
BaystateBlue likes this.
post #5 of 261 Old 10-08-2015, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Gotta agree with a lot of the complaints of the blind spot monitor. It's more of a liability and annoyance on a busy freeway.

Gas tank is small, but the electronic fuel gauge is the real problem. Reports empty with 2 gallons left on a 11.9 gallon tank. Would have an agreeable 350mi range if it weren't for how conservative the fuel and range read outs are.

Acceleration with radar cruise control is too aggressive, frequently downshifting and giving a rollercoaster ride.

Cup holders are blocked by the folding armrest.

Radio and music controls are infuriating to access and distracting.

Navigation defaults with menu open, blocking 20% of map. No scrolling ability even with directional knob when moving.

No auto dimming mirror as standard.

Most of these things can be fixed with software, so hopefully Mazda listens to feedback.
post #6 of 261 Old 10-08-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Garage
Ahhh yes the small gas tank, I don't know why I forgot to mention that. For me this is also the smallest car I've owned, so perhaps that's part of it. Coming from a fully loaded 2012 Kia Optima, there are quite a few features this car is missing compared to it (auto headlights, auto dimming mirror, heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats, panoramic sunroof, power front seats, lumbar), but I knew that coming in and at the same time this has features I didn't have in the Optima (AWD, DRL, all LED lighting, adaptive headlights, HD radio, way better navigation and menu software, commander controls). And of course way more fun driving, especially since the Optima was a hybrid (I know, what the hell was I thinking?)

For the blind spot monitor, I think its working as intended. I mean if you can see the car next to you in your side mirror, or if its right next to you and you can easily see it, there's no need for the BSM to activate. Also I think it depends on relative speed, if you're going faster than the car next to you it will not activate even though momentarily the car will be in your blind spot. If the car on the other lane is going faster, it will activate even if you can see it in your side mirror because you probably won't be able to safely change lane. So I don't know, I haven't complained about that yet.

Navigation, while its way better than the Optima's, there's no way it will be anywhere near as your phone's map like Google Maps for example, unless the car has Google Maps and can take a SIM card for data connection (my brother's Audi does).

A lot of the issues however I think is to be expected as early adopters. Obviously Mazda has been making cars for years but there will always be some issues whenever a company makes a brand new model. Some of the software issues can easily be fixed with a software update, but others will probably get fixed with the 2017 model year. If they do fix some of the things I have gripes with next year, I might trade it in and upgrade.
post #7 of 261 Old 10-08-2015, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Keyless entry, I wasn't prepared to pay for the next model up and this bothers me a little bit. I'd rather have to put the key into the ignition and unlock the car instead of find the key in my handbag to unlock, put it somewhere to drive. Find it again to get out... First world problems.

I'm also still getting used to the gear box, I'm coming from a European manual transmission and Japanese manual transmissions tend to be more clunky. I thought it was just me but a few friends agreed based on their experiences the other day. I just have to get used to it and adjust my driving style though.
post #8 of 261 Old 10-08-2015, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
As for things,,,,one....small gas tank OK gas is around 1.80 a gallon my wife fills up around 1 /4 empty, the other day was only 13.50 to fill love it. 2...... Blind spot monitoring us working OK does what it needs to. 3 yes cup holders I know its strange place under arm rest,but my wife has no problems, she use es bottled water keeps in side doors or under rest ..yes that parking break could be placed other places foot button,but no console well we can live with it....my big concern was no power seat.we have always had,but after having it , we can get on just keep it up and back...there is no perfect car having car two weeks now red soul gt.....its awesome yes things will improve in time still the best looking car on road,,,and I have not seen any others hear in nj yet....zoooooom zoooom...
post #9 of 261 Old 10-08-2015, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
A few things our '14 3s GT has that the CX lacks;

Power seat. This was shocking when I learned it was manual. The levers are the cheapest thing I've encountered in a new car. Just flimsy. On the subject of seats, the 3 has lumbar support, not great but it's at least something.

No leather boot on the shifter.

Dual auto climate control.

Auto dimming rear view mirror.

Rear seat center armrest w/cup holders.

I don't like not being able to readily find stations on the XM radio. That being said I couldn't live without XM radio. I REALLLY dislike the lack of interior storage space. The armrest/cup holder situation is a joke. I found I can fit a water bottle and my venti Starbuck's cup in the cup holders while using the armrest but it's not the easiest thing to do.

I didn't think the 2.0 engine would be sufficient for me, especially after trading my Infiniti G35 for the CX, but it surprised me. At least around town and on Bay Area freeways. The real test will come at the end of the month when it makes its first road trip. Crossing the mountains of Nevada, Idaho and Montana might pose a challenge.

Other than those few quibbles I'm a very happy camper!
pzw likes this.
post #10 of 261 Old 10-08-2015, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
I don't have any real complaints so far, but I'll agree with many of your issues.

- The fuel tank is small. Losing a bit of capacity to accommodate the AWD prop shaft is annoying, but I think the overall range is still acceptable. I knew the tank was small before I bought, but I knew this wasn't going to be a cross-country cruiser. I bet I could get 400 miles on the highway, which is about the same as my old 20-gallon Infiniti got.

- The cupholder/armrest issue. Going along with the rear legroom, I feel like this car could've really been perfect if they made it about six inches longer. I feel like I fit well into the space, though. I've been wondering how I could make some sort of add-on cupholder to fit into the armrest cell phone slot.

- I actually prefer manual seats. I'm the only one who ever drives it, so the seat is never moved. Might as well save the cost and weight. Manual adjustment is faster, too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode