You prefer AWD or FWD with CX-3? - Mazda CX3 Forum
View Poll Results: You prefer AWD or FWD with CX-3?
AWD 64 69.57%
FWD 28 30.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 Old 08-07-2015, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Question You prefer AWD or FWD with CX-3?

You prefer AWD or FWD with CX-3?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 08-07-2015, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
AWD despite the additional 170 lbs of weight and slight hits in MPG and responsiveness (as discussed by multiple reviews so far). The predictive AWD is said to assist in cornering and stability in addition to off-road and adverse weather duties. Now, is it worth the additional $1250 USD?
post #3 of 79 Old 08-07-2015, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaho View Post
You prefer AWD or FWD with CX-3?

Depends on where you are located, doesn't it? Here, there is a limited number of days with ice/snow. I'll save my money and get better performance without it.
This is why I am also considering the 3. Sticking to the plains, If living in Kansas or Nebraska, I would probably want it. North of there, I would gladly fork over the extra 1250.

I would like to see some comprehensive road tests of the fwd HRV and CX-3, so we could better judge the merits of awd vs fwd versions. All I'm seeing are tests where they are equipped with AWD.
Anybody see any detailed evaluations of the fwd models (with time to speed charts) on these?
I know the AWD CX-3 is slower than the 3, wondering if the fwd version is.

Last edited by okhick; 08-07-2015 at 02:34 PM.

post #4 of 79 Old 08-07-2015, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
This might help:
Do You Need an All-Wheel-Drive or Four-Wheel-Drive Car? on Edmunds.com

Key takeaways:
"What would perform better in the snow? A front-wheel-drive car with winter tires or an AWD car with all-season tires? Michelin tested this scenario in a study a few years ago. The FWD car with winter tires outperformed the AWD car in nearly every test. "

"Don't Buy a 10 Percent Car
People sometimes buy an AWD or 4WD vehicle for the occasional off-road outing or ski trip, while 90 percent of the time they'll be sitting in traffic or using the vehicle on paved roads. These drivers would be better served by renting a car for their ski trips. This would save them money both on the price of the car plus the lower fuel costs."

The Myth of All-Powerful All-Wheel Drive

All-Wheel Drive: Do You Really Need It?

All Wheel Drive Does Not Make You Safer

Personally, if I still lived up in the DC area or north, or had to deal with mountain roads in the winter, I'd opt for AWD. I'd heavily consider it for the Pacific NW. I live in Georgia, so I would rarely be able to take advantage. AWD and 4WD vehicles here get better resale value, but not for a car like this. If I had a truck or full-sized SUV, I'd get better resale value around here, but not for a CX-3 or HR-V. Drivers of these don't take their cars on muddy paths; they have other vehicles for that.

For the past 20 years I've driven RWD cars, even in torrential downpours and on snow and sometimes ice. FWD will handle even better in those conditions than the RWD that I am used to. I've gotten by just fine w/ RWD, but I DO know how to drive in those conditions (so many people do not, however). So for me personally, AWD doesn't really offer a big enough bonus to justify the initial cost, the higher maintenance and repair costs, and high gas costs/lower mpg.

At least in the part of the country where I live, AWD on a car like the CX-3 or HR-V provides VERY little benefit, and is nothing but a cash cow feature for the car makers. YMMV
post #5 of 79 Old 08-07-2015, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I might get AWD to deal better with the winter, but otherwise I would go with the FWD since I am not expecting to do any of roading. And, you get to save some money by going with the FWD.
post #6 of 79 Old 08-07-2015, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I'm getting grand touring with front wheel drive,, our cx7 is front wheel drive has been OK I'm n nj
post #7 of 79 Old 08-07-2015, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
It's a tough call for me being on the edge of the regional snow belt here. A nice set of Blizzaks changed out each year on a FWD could do the trick.
post #8 of 79 Old 08-08-2015, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
AWD in Seattle is a great option to have. Rain-slicked hills are no fun to navigate with spinning wheels. It's why the PNW is Subaru country. If I lived where it was flat, I'd get FWD with good tires.
RAMPANT and seattlerider like this.
post #9 of 79 Old 08-08-2015, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Garage
being in Alberta I went with the all wheel drive option. I am still deciding on winters as of now, I figure with AWD and some awesome winters I should be set this winter.
CXIII likes this.
post #10 of 79 Old 08-09-2015, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMPANT View Post
being in Alberta I went with the all wheel drive option. I am still deciding on winters as of now, I figure with AWD and some awesome winters I should be set this winter.
Even with FWD and winters you'd be good, from my experience tires are the most important, but of course combining it with AWD puts you off much better than most.
RAMPANT and burnashburn like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode