Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

How's everybody's AC working????

34K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  PeterTwoMeter 
#1 ·
Got pretty roasty the last few days here in Toronto and I'm happy to say that the AC in the CX-3 works pretty damn good unlike the air in my SX4.

I have an appointment at my friend's shop for him to check out the Suzuki and I'm hoping that the air will work decent in my car afterwards while the GF's Mazda is good (hopefully it'll stay that way based on some people's issues I've read here about air in their CX-3).

Nothing can beat my old Sentra SE AC, that car was 16 years old and the air is frigid cold all these years.................only needed a recharge twice in it's lifetime and 1 condenser pipe replaced, even the Mazda air can't touch the freezing temps of the Nissan AC system.

That's the only thing I missed on the Sentra when I sold it last year after getting the Mazda.

Tony

#2 ·
Very well. Much better than the asthmatic nerd blowing over a tray of ice cubes in my RX-8.

It's been 90°+ F for the last week and I have no complaints.

#5 ·
A/C what's that? I only have African A/C - windows down, the A/C has not worked since October, had the evaporator changed with a new modified one , condensor and control panel changed, now on back order for a another but this time modified condensor due mid July :mad:

#9 ·
I've had the same issue with mine. Mazda knows there is an issue, they have developed a new part for it.

Local mazda ordered my part about a month ago, received it and they said Mazda just sent them the same part again so they wouldn't install it (they knew they were constantly breaking, didn't want to install it, have in break, then need to order another one). The new part finally came in, it gets installed in a week. I'll keep you all posted

#6 ·
It's been incredibly hot here the past few days (90's), and I don't know if the CX-3 is a heat magnet or if the A/C simply doesn't get cold enough, but if there's even a bit of sunshine it is super hot inside. The A/C on the coldest setting can barely keep up. I even have tinted windows that supposedly block some heat from getting in but I simply don't understand why the car gets so hot.

#7 ·
Been in the high 80's here in my part of the UK the last few days and my recently replaced under warranty faulty condenser module (located behind the front bumper in UK lingo) means the air con is now working great - fingers crossed! Your problem could be faulty condenser related - check out the link to this Mazda worldwide technical service bulletin :-

http://www.cx3forums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=387

There have been plenty of owners in the UK who've had the condenser replaced under warranty in the last 6 months or more. There are also to a lesser extent potential problems with the control unit and evaporator module both (?) inside the car.

#10 ·
There are three potential issues with the CX-3. Any or all of them can effect each car.

#11 ·
CX-3 in Phoenix

My first summer with my new CX-3 and it been about 120 in Phoenix all week. The a/c has worked decent enough so that I'm not drenched in sweat after a drive.

The bigger issue with the CX-3 is lack of solar tinting on the factory windshield. The glass get so hot it forms a hot pocket of air right around my head, even with the a/c blasting. I complained to Mazda Corporate & the dealership where I bought it.

#12 ·
My first summer with my new CX-3 and it been about 120 in Phoenix all week. The a/c has worked decent enough so that I'm not drenched in sweat after a drive.

The bigger issue with the CX-3 is lack of solar tinting on the factory windshield. The glass get so hot it forms a hot pocket of air right around my head, even with the a/c blasting. I complained to Mazda Corporate & the dealership where I bought it.

That HAS to be the problem! Thank you, I didn't know why so much heat was getting in when it was sunny. That's quite honestly ridiculous, I wonder what Mazda's excuse for this is.

#14 ·
I took my car to a dealer yesterday. The AC wasn't working to my satisfaction. Mazda service confirmed that the AC gas level was very low. They put some more with a dye to see where the leak is happening and also ordered replacement parts. I showed up this morning to pick up my car and AC is not cooling at all :( And the weather is very humid here.:mad:

#15 ·
So I got the SX4 to my friend's shop to check the AC. It was working ok but wasn't great so he checked it out for me. No visible leaks but the machine evacuated only 0.82 lbs of R134A refrigerant. Suzuki spec (via a sticker on the bumper when you open the hood shows min 0.9 lbs to a max of 0.99 lbs.).

So he did a full vacuum, added a dye to show where a leak could be if there is one (there wasn't) and he recharged the system with the full 0.99 lbs. of refrigerant.................all good no leaks.

However, today wasn't a very hot day in Toronto and I think it is working better than before (could be just me thinking it's better after having it done) so we'll just have to wait for a scorching day in my hood and I can really test it out.

Love my AC..............can't live without it.

Tony

#16 ·
My Mazda Millenia S was the champ when it came to AC. The CX3 is fine; in fact, I wish there was one more fan setting between 0 and 1 since 1 still blows too hard on 1. I have to dial some heat into the adjustment most of the time; especially in the AM. Full AC after sitting in the sun though. So far, love the AC...in sunny, hot, humid Tampa.

#18 ·
I speak as the master off all things A/C that can go wrong.... well at least in the UK :D. There exists a modified condensor (due to soldering issues), a modified evaporator (due to brazing issues) and a modified control panel, I am aware of TSB's for both the evaporator and control panel see anchormans post on this pagehttps://www.cx3forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=964&start=80

Hope this helps

#21 ·
Same problem. No AC. Parts to fix in short supply. Apparently Mazda and dealer have been aware of this (see TSB) for a long time but simply refill to leak our again. What is really annoying is to not just say up front there is a problem and they will fix properly ASAP.

#23 ·
The AC is fucking crap. I've noticed the problem is that the AC only blows cold air if you're actively pressing the gas pedal, if the car is idle or you lift your foot off the gas pedal the air is barely cooler than outside temperature. I don't believe this is a problem, but rather it is working as intended and may be just another part of Mazda's "SkyActive" crap intended to improve fuel economy. It's sad to say but it seems like Mazda is skimping on all kinds of comfort features that we've gotten used to in other car just to improve fuel economy slightly. These unfortunately are things that do not come out during a short test drive, but rather during ownership, and can become annoying after some time. I've owned this car just under 2 years and I'm ready to move on to another car, and I usually keep a car 3-4 years before upgrading.

#25 ·
I got a new compressor last week and my A/C is cooling very nicely now. I don't see any difference in air temperature as you described. The temperature is the same if I press a gas pedal or if i don't. My car was idling for about 8 minutes this afternoon and A/C was blowing a very cold air. It was a quite hot day in Toronto today . I have a GS model with A/C controlled manually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.