30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 Old 10-26-2016, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Garage
CX-3 FEEDBACK THREAD - MAZDA, your customers have spoken.

As requested, I am pinning this thread so that you place your feedback regarding this car. Its a place to debate opinion and share your wish list for forthcoming model updates. Remain civil and we’re not interested in fans of other marques expressing their preference for something else.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2016 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 10-26-2016, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Wish List:

1. Dispense with the 30s-style parking/emergency brake lever ... it consumes far too much console space ... e.g. Honda's HR-V electronic Brake/Brake Hold System.

2. Likewise with the gear change, out with the mechanical, in with a space conserving electronically activated system ... already halfway there with the steering wheel paddle shifters.

3. Of course what I'm really looking for is simply more cubby space in the front cabin.

4. Greater adjustment/travel, vertical and horizontal, of the front seats ... maybe even tilt ... sounds like power seats doesn't it.
greaseman85 and Sarah like this.

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #3 of 69 Old 10-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Im certain the manual handbrake will disappear during the mid cycle refresh.
mainemanx likes this.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!

post #4 of 69 Old 10-26-2016, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Garage
1) Overhaul the interior to make it similar to the new Mazda 3 (which is similar to the Mazda 6).
2) Cabin is too loud, make it quieter (both road and engine noise).
3) A little more power.
4) Android Auto.
5) A few more convenience features like power seats.

Is this too much to ask for?
Sarah and mainemanx like this.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #5 of 69 Old 10-26-2016, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Not to be a Negative Nancy, but those might be too much to ask :/

1) Certainly possible, but space constraints might be an issue for some parts.
2) Sound-absorbing material adds weight, which is a problem because...
3) The engine is already tuned down to fit, so more power isn't likely :/
4) Android Auto should be pretty easy to implement. Unknown if CarPlay hardware is present, since the two seem to be deployed together by other makes.
5) Convenience features add weight, which wouldn't help with the already limited power.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD, Red/Parchment
post #6 of 69 Old 10-26-2016, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Garage
Mazda engineers could certainly come up with a way to add more power, the engine is already big at 2.0 liter. Perhaps a small turbo? Heck, they could even make it smaller with a turbo, like the Hyundai Tucson which has a 1.6L turbo and produces more power if I'm not mistaken.

I don't believe for a minute that this is the best Mazda engineers could do on the CX-3, especially considering how good they normally are. My personal opinion is that this car was rushed to market to compete in the new and growing CUV segment and they didn't have the time/resources to make it as good as it could be. All they could do was make some modifications to engines they already had rather than build one specifically for the CX-3. Don't get me wrong, I still think they did a very good job considering they don't even have a 10th of the resources of the likes of Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, etc.
mainemanx and skyking like this.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #7 of 69 Old 10-26-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Garage
We know that power seats are imminent.

The CX-5 got more sound deadening so I wouldn’t write it off and as for power, will most cars of this size in Europe have a 1.6 or 1.4 engine so I think its quite well endowed in that respect.

Apple and Android systems must be around the corner surely???

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2016 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #8 of 69 Old 10-26-2016, 06:25 PM

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
If I were head of product development, I would deliberately decontent the first few model years. It will look like it's rushed to market to a select few people but most won't care. They'll see new and interesting car and buy it. Then, in a few years, they add a few features (power seats, CarPlay/A.Auto, 5-10% more power, etc), call it a refresh and gain a new round of purchasers while minimizing engineering cost. This is your face-lift.

Three years after that, you do the refresh where you make more significant changes without significantly changing the platform as a whole. Tweak the sheet metal, make some interior design changes, add a few features that weren't fully cooked during the initial roll-out. You gain a new round of purchasers who think it's a new car or were waiting for the early-model-year-bugs to be worked out.

Follow it up 3-ish years later with a platform redesign using newer drivetrains and what-not and repeat the process.

So long as you don't wait too long to do the redesign (like VW did with the B5 platform and Saturn with the SL/SC/SW-series), you're good to go.

Here's my face-lift wish list:
  1. Apple CarPlay. Apple CarPlay. Apple CarPlay. Apple CarPlay. (and Android Auto, I suppose)
    And make it retroactive to 2016 models, damnit! If that means buying a $500 hardware upgrade, it'd be worth it since that's the going rate on most aftermarket CarPlay head units is. Heck, $750 would be reasonable if it came backed with the factory warranty.
  2. Give us a real center arm rest solution in the USA. The one provided is a piece of crap. Make it a drop-in replacement for the current one and I'll pay dealer MSRP for the part.
  3. More power. Not a ton, just a bit more. Maybe detune the 2.5?
  4. Memory seats would be nice. This is the size of an urban runabout in the US which means that urban couples will be sharing it as their only car.
  5. Power-folding for the wing mirrors in the US. Again, urban runabout, lots of on-street parking and these mirrors are HYUUUGE!
  6. A factory or dealer Homelink mirror option on vehicles equipped with iActivSense. Heck, just take the unit from the Mazda 3 and lengthen the arm a bit.
  7. Keep the parking brake lever. I don't what an electronic interlock for what should be an important mechanical system. (Crap, I'm turning into an old man, not trusting these new-fangled electronic things. *shakes fist*That Internets will never last! Just a fad, I tell you!)
Sarah and Levi3xt like this.

2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!)
2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

Last edited by NotAPreppie; 10-27-2016 at 12:30 PM.
post #9 of 69 Old 10-26-2016, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseman85 View Post
Mazda engineers could certainly come up with a way to add more power, the engine is already big at 2.0 liter. Perhaps a small turbo? Heck, they could even make it smaller with a turbo, like the Hyundai Tucson which has a 1.6L turbo and produces more power if I'm not mistaken.

I don't believe for a minute that this is the best Mazda engineers could do on the CX-3, especially considering how good they normally are. My personal opinion is that this car was rushed to market to compete in the new and growing CUV segment and they didn't have the time/resources to make it as good as it could be. All they could do was make some modifications to engines they already had rather than build one specifically for the CX-3. Don't get me wrong, I still think they did a very good job considering they don't even have a 10th of the resources of the likes of Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, etc.
Mazda has chosen a different path than the other car manufactures, by sticking to larger non-turbo engines (except the diesel enginges, which of course has a turbo).
I actually like the 2.0, even in the 120HP version I have. It pulls great and is quite fast. It lacks the low down torque of a turbo, but haven driven a 1.4 turbo for 4 years prior to the CX-3, I'm pleased to be driving a non-turbo again (fewer parts that can break) and combined with the auto transmission it happily strolls along at 1200-1300 rpm.
It's easier to drive economically than a smaller turbo engine.
I don't think we'll see a small engine turbo from Mazda, as Skyactiv 2 is coming in a couple of years, using HCCI (homogenous-charge compression ignition) using compression to ignite (like a diesel) rather than a sparkplug.

Wish list for me:
  1. Power seats with memory (also for HUD)
  2. The colour HUD from the 3 and 6
  3. Dual-zone climate control
  4. Fully adaptive LED headlight like the new 3, 6 and CX-5
  5. MRRC with queue assist (driving all the way down to zero and accellerate again without cancelling)
  6. Updated trip computer and an in-dash information screen (like the 6 and CX-5)
  7. Being able to use leaving-home lights when lights are in Auto-mode

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets

My fuel consumption average
post #10 of 69 Old 10-26-2016, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
If I were head of product development, I would deliberately decontent the first few model years. It will look like it's rushed to market to a select few people but most won't care. They'll see new and interesting car and buy it. Then, in a few years, they add a few features (power seats, CarPlay/A.Auto, 5-10% more power, etc), call it a refresh and gain a new round of purchasers while minimizing engineering cost. This is your face-lift.
This is a very common practice and one that Mazda implements already. Manufactures are forced to do this to an extent as a way to keep the model fresh until the next major revamp.

I usually buy a first year model knowing more content will be added later as I prefer to drive a new body style and am less concerned with things like a rear seat center armrest that will be added later.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode